To accelerate aerospace innovation and progress in the 21st century, AIAA is building upon its technical discipline foundation focusing at ever higher levels of systems integration and application. By emphasizing the key priorities and issues across three domains--Aeronautics, Space, and Aerospace Research & Development--AIAA will visibly address the problems of today, tackle hurdles and build future aerospace systems for society. We need a passionate, experienced industry professional to help lead each domain.
We are seeking three (3) experienced industry professionals to serve in highly visible leadership consulting roles (one in each of the following domains):
Aeronautics, Space, and Aerospace Research & Development
These contract positions will be part-time (approximately 75-80 hours per month), reporting to the AIAA Executive Director.
Solving challenging problems is the 90-year legacy of the AIAA members who came before us. They developed the technologies and solutions enabling global commercial air travel, human exploration of low Earth orbit and the moon, missions across our solar system and beyond, and secure defenses necessary for our way of life. In short, AIAA members have been essential in the rapid technological progress since Kitty Hawk. As the aerospace industry continuously and rapidly evolves from a primarily government-driven enterprise to government- and commercially-driven activities, AIAA and its members continue to tackle the technical challenges, providing critical solutions that help solve the problems of tomorrow and assuring society’s future.
- Identify the issues confronting the domain
- Facilitate tangible progress toward solving the identified issues
- Prepare Institute vision encompassing the near- and far-term future for the domain
- Provide the strategic content direction and guide the outcomes necessary to drive progress in the domain
- Responsible for crafting multiyear vision of AIAA's contributions to shaping the future of the domain
- Vision should identify, prioritize, and map potential engagements among all subdomains and adjacent fields that AIAA should cultivate through products, services, and engagement strategies
- Ensure alignment with and contribute to overall AIAA Strategic Plan
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, obtain Board of Trustees approval for the domain vision
- Cultivate support and buy-in of the Council of Directors, the technical committees (TCs), integration and outreach committees (ICs/OCs), and the following Board-directed committees:
- Content Advisory Committee
- Emerging Trends Committee
- Corporate Member Strategic Advisory Committee
- Public Policy Committee
- Forums Advisory Committee
- Continuing Education
- Standards Steering Committee
- Other Board Directed Committees, working groups, and related subcommittees or task groups will serve in advisory roles, where appropriate. (e.g., Higher Education Committee, Diversity and Inclusion Working Group, specific forum executive steering committees, guiding coalition, journal editorial boards, etc.)
- Establish and lead a domain advisory board for the Institute
- Evangelize the domain vision among volunteer member leadership, members in general, the AIAA staff, and nonmember stakeholders.
- Be the AIAA voice of the domain thought leadership to the membership and public at large as appropriate.
- Coordinate with staff dedicated to serving focal areas (e.g., cybersecurity, autonomy, etc), VPs, and product managers to develop programs, products, and services to implement the domain vision
- Advise marketing strategies for programs, products, and services advancing the domain vision
- Develop and maintain an awareness of overall financial goals, how the domain vision influences and contributes to the financials, and contribute toward goals' achievement
- Reports to Executive Director
- Extensive collaboration with Chief Operating Officer; Chief Financial Officer; and Vice Presidents of Community and Partner Engagement; Product, Market and Revenue Develoment; and Product Operations; Managing Directors of Publications and Professional Development; Senior Director Strategic Marketing and Communications; and other relevant staff
- Requires multi-year commitment
- No personnel supervisory responsibility
- Approximately 75-80 hours per month commitment per month
- Travel to industry events, potential partner meetings, and for collaboration with staff
- Work principally but not exclusively in the domain
- At least 15 years of progressive experience and leadership in the domain.
- Industry experience is preferred but not required for the aeronautics or space domain leader positions.
- Academic experience is preferred but not required for the aerospace research and development domain leader position.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current challenges confronting the domain
- Possess a clear understanding of adjacent and emerging technologies and the complementary or transformational impact they might have on the domain
- Possess an established and growing network of collaborators and subject matter experts to draw upon
- Understand the business and policy influences impacting the domain
- Possess an established and noteworthy public reputation in the domain through industry awards and recognition, presentations, publications, and other evidence of thought leadership
- Hold a master’s degree or higher in a relevant engineering discipline or Master of Business Administration or higher degree, complemented by significant business strategy experience in the aerospace or defense industry
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.