The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (www.aiaa.org) in Reston, VA has an exciting career opportunity for an Event Program Executive to guide the development and execution of ASCEND, AIAA’s flagship platform focused on building our off-world future, and lead the long-term vision of the product.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Professional Development, the incumbent will work closely with AIAA members and staff, as well as outside partners and consultants, to ensure that the content and format of ASCEND and its associated outcomes are aligned with the organizational vision and AIAA strategic goals. The Event Program Executive will coordinate cross-functional teams to implement these responsibilities and ensure that attendee, partner, and organizational expectations are met.
- Provide strategic, operational, and financial decision-making authority for ASCEND in close consultation with the Executive Producer, Project Managers, and other stakeholders.
- Assume full project ownership to ensure deadlines, schedules, and budgets are met through the allocation of internal and external resources.
- Research important industry topics and keep up to date with industry trends to ensure ASCEND content is relevant to the intended audience.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key professionals, industry leaders, C-level executives throughout the year.
- Coordinate multiple cross-functional teams to ensure clear communication and program and budget accountability.
- Work closely with the ASCEND Executive Producer and Guiding Coalition to identify themes, focus areas, and high-level content to be addressed across the ASCEND platform on an annual basis, and to secure the participation of high level, industry-leading speakers.
- Work closely with the AIAA Publications team and volunteer committees to review, select, and organize community-contributions, including technical publications and collaborative sessions.
- Work closely with the AIAA Marketing and Communications team to provide direction for the sales, marketing, and communications strategy, including social media channels and website development, to enable successful execution by responsible team members.
- Work closely with AIAA Project Managers to facilitate the planning and execution of all ASCEND-related events, including virtual and onsite activities, to provide exceptional customer experiences.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple tasks
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to coordinate/integrate aerospace-related content with internal teams as necessary to facilitate product and program development
- Customer focused with demonstrated ability to be responsive to internal team members, volunteers, and external stakeholders
- Strong team management and leadership skills
- Proven track record of delivering projects on schedule and within budget while working under pressure
- Strong communications skills – written, oral, and presentation
- Ability to engage with very senior management in the aerospace industry
- Enthusiastic with a strong desire to succeed
- Ability to speak in public with confidence before large live audiences.
- A minimum of 5-10 years relevant and progressively responsible work experience required.
- Strong interest in space exploration, science, technology, policy, and global cooperation highly desired.
- Incumbent should be creative, ambitious, passionate, and intellectually curious about the development of a thriving, sustainable space-based economy.
- Entrepreneurial mindset to take new product innovations from concept to execution in a short period of time.
- Association or non-profit project management experience a plus.
- BA/BS degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required, preferably in a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics) related field, or in science and technology policy.
AIAA’s purpose is to ignite and celebrate aerospace ingenuity and collaboration, and its importance to our way of life. AIAA is the world’s largest technical society dedicated to the global aerospace profession. We are comprised of individual and corporate members from around the world. AIAA carries forth a proud tradition of more than 80 years of aerospace leadership.
Working at AIAA
AIAA offers a strong compensation package for this position, which includes base salary and a discretionary bonus. Our benefits are highly competitive and include medical, dental and vision insurance with dependent coverage; 403(b) plan with an employer contribution and match; generous paid vacation, sick and holiday schedule; and flexible work arrangements including telework.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.